Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Detailing a Hornby class 121 Bubblecar

First blog post of 2014 and we finally get to see some modelling on here for a change!



When first receiving a Hornby class 121 they are rather basic (seen in the photo above) but over the past few weeks i've been working on a project to detail the class 121 using paints, aluminium mesh, staples and various other odds and ends.


Firstly i removed the body and painted in interior of the cab. Painted black and a few of the controls painted too the reason for using black paint is because whilst doing research of a class 121 cab the control panel was painted black. I think the black paint makes it stand out though.


Next i painted the floor of the seating area using Humbrol 123 Grey (forget which grey)


Then i painted the seats red during the time i took this photo i had NO red paint so what i used was nail varnish! I really does work well.


Then i painted the underframe and axles boxes not many class 121s had painted axle boxes but i painted them because it adds to more detail. The painted parts on the underframe also add to detail aswell as making the model stand out and looks more realistic.


and heres the other side with less painted parts on the undeframe :P


I then painted the corridor doors using Humbrol cream (forgot which number) it needed several coats until it looked right!


I also had the cab seats and floor painted too! Later it was touched up though


I then turned to to guard door and cutting some Aluminium mesh to size it was glued in place over the window. This was a feature all the class 121s had.


View from the outside :)


I then cut off the plastic buffers. These would be replaced with Markits 22 Sprung Oleo buffers later.


We can't forget the passengers and the driver either! They were glued in place using Polycement glue from Humbrol.


I removed the plastic dummy hooks and glued some chainlink drawbar couplings in place from a Bachmann class 37 detail pack on both eds of the DMU.


Then using some vacuum pipes from various class 20 detail packs glued two either side of the chain link couplings on both ends. Again this is an accurate feature on the class 121s in reality.


Prior to screwing the body back onto the chassis i added the Markits Oleo sprung buffers. I had to drill some large holes using a hand drill in order to fix them in place. And no glue has been added ;)


And the other end. Please note the buffer on the left is NOT sprung for the time being as a spring has fallen out onto the floor and is yet to be found! Doesn't really bother me though.


I then turned my attention to the Craftsman DMU Jumper Cables and sockets.


Here i added the first double jumper cable (as i like to call them) glued in place it hasn't been painted but i quite like the silver finish to it.


I then added the first socket


On the other end i added the rest of the jumper cables and the other socket again like the ones on the other end they are left unpainted.


I then added some lamp irons and i did this by using staples cut to length and drill a few small holes and glued them in place.


and heres the other lamp irons added on the other end.




So heres the finished model the only thing missing from this model are the foot steps but im really pleased with this model as it is all the same. Neither of the sprung buffers are painted and thats because i think its a shame to get rid of the gold shine finish on them.

Until next time.......