Sunday, 24 May 2015

Detailing an old Hornby LB&SCR E2

Another blog post on some modelling. I should do these sorts of blog posts more often, when there is some form of modelling going on.

Recently whilst doing some modelling i had been taking a look at my Hornby LB&CR E2 and looking through photographs of the real locomotive decided to detail the model up to make it more detailed, it was good considering it was a basic model but decided to up my modelling skills using the model. It has taken my modelling onto a new level.


On the front of the buffer beam we can see an added chain link, drawbar coupling and a brake pipe. I removed the plastic stub on the buffer beam (made to look like a hook) and drilled a hole into the buffer beam using a hand drill, i took a drawbar/chain link coupling out of my spares box and glued it into place. For the brake pipe i did the same thing. The buffer beam itself was repainted using a different shade of Red. I also went and painted the buffers white on both ends of course!


The running board was painted black, before it was the same colour as the locomotive which didn't look as realistic, painted it was tricky put it payed off well in the end. I also added the long lamp irons as fitted on Terriers and E4's this is because this E2 being the prototype no.100 had these lamp irons in reality. I painted the ring round the smokebox door white aswell as the smokebox door bands, handrail and door darts. Again no.100 had these painted white in reality. The smokebox door darts were added on separately for as the molded ones were removed as the ones fitted separately look better.


The handrail alongside the loco was also painted white as well as the detail on the smokebox, again these were painted on the real no.100. The detail on the Westinghouse pump was also painted but this was harder to do which required a small amount of White paint and a needle, it turned out well though.


I decided to repaint the model into Works Grey livery like the real no.100 at least it was in this livery in the photos i looked at. For the wheels and the loco itself Revell Dust Grey was used yes it isn't exactly Works Grey but its pretty darn close to how it looked in the photos. Painting the wheels was harder to do especially with the siderods still in place but it turned out well in the end, the paint had to go in some cases under the siderods though to get to certain parts of the wheels, somewhat tricky to do but works well. I also put lining on the running plate using a Yellow Posca paint pen which has come out good.


I painted the tops of the side tanks black using Revell Black paint. The boiler bands were done using a Yellow Posca paint pen they came out a little thin to start with but once i made them thicker as shown in the photo they do look better.


I then turned my attention onto the lining on the side tanks, again i used a Yellow Posca paint pen for it but this would be tricky to do entirely by hand so i grabbed a ruler and draw the lining on with the ruler in place which made it look straight, when i did it before using the ruler it was all wobbly and didn't look as good. For the lettering i just simply drew it on using the Posca pen which i think looks okay. I should point out though some touch ups to some of the lining was done later on.

I then turned my attention the the sides of the bunker. It would be tricky to do it with a rule so i had to draw it on by hand using the Posca pen. Thankfully it didn't turn out as wobbly as i did when i did it on the side tanks. As for the numbering i again drew it on using the paint pen. Before i forget i painted the handrails on the sides of the cab White.

I then painted the rear lamp irons White, i don't know if they wee painted on the real prototype but i did it to bring them out more. Looks good. Before anyone asks yes i know there is no rear brakepipe or chain link coupling it hasn't been done yet.


I then added a real coal load in the bunker. I brushed on a small amount of PVA glue and then sprinkled some of the coal over the plastic coal load. I then used dropper glue to put on top of it. This glues it firmly in place and ensures none of the coal that isn't glued falls out.


We then turn our attention to the other side of the loco, the other handrail has been painted like the other one has and so has the detail part on the smokebox. The detail on the pump (whatever it is) has also been painted, not sure if it were painted on the real loco but it's been painted to bring it out more and to give that that much more detail.


The lining on the side tank on the other side has been done the same as it was done with the other side tank, a ruler and a Yellow Posca paint pen. The same for the lettering and numbering has been done.


And so there we have it. A detailed Hornby E2, it would be interesting though if Hornby or Bachmann were to bring a new tooling of this loco out to see how it compares to the old. With this model detailed up though it does look much better detailed than what it was previously not saying it was a bad model though.

Will see you next time

1 comment: